Importance of Seed Grading
Why should you grade your seeds?
The main reasons why you should grade your seeds are
Have you ever thought why seed grading is essential? Well, there are various reasons why grading of seed is essential. The main reason for grading of seed is to have a harvest which is not only free from bad grains but also which produces more yield of required crops.
When you are planning to plant crops, needless to say that you will want only the best seeds so that your harvest is great. This is now in your hands with the process of seed grading.
- To remove seeds of other crops which have been mixed unknowingly.
- To remove weeds seeds, especially the seeds which are resistant to herbicides and cannot be killed easily.
- To remove soil dust, straw and other inert and harmful materials.
- To remove the immature, damaged, shrivelled, cracked, undersized and other seeds which are useless in nature.
- The grading of seeds allows you to choose only the best quality seeds and once you have selected the highest quality seeds, you can be sure that you will have the best of harvests.
Importance of Quality grading
Seeds can be graded or separated depending on their quality. Seeds can be considered as living organisms which give birth to new plants and unless they are looked after in the proper way, their quality will deteriorate. In addition to that, the cost of cultivation, fertilization and control of weeds are high and hence, if the best quality seeds are not produced and used, then there is a chance of you going bankrupt. Hence, quality grading of seeds can be considered as economic in nature.
Grading according to the emergence rates
Seeds can also be graded according to the emergence rates that they have. In other terms, the grading depends on how fast a sapling grows from a seed under optimum conditions of growth. In general, large seeds are known to posses 85% emergence rates and small seeds are known to posses 72% emergence rates. Larger seeds are not only known to posses great vigour, but also have greater strength while growing and that is what aids the emergence rate of the seeds.
At the same time, when you are grading your seeds, you can choose only the best quality seeds that have an innate ability to resist the diseases and the weeds from growing and harming them. Depending on the quality of seeds that you choose, the emergence rates also increases which in turn increases the quality and reduces the cost of the harvests.
Hence, keeping the above discussion in mind, it can be concluded that the grading of seeds is essential for the proper cultivation and harvest.